Firestopping service penetrations – the importance and benefits of early engagement
This article is based on the virtual panel discussion held under the umbrella of London Build Online on 25 November 2020.
The panel members were:
- Philip Trueman BA Hons, Dip Arch, ARB, RIBA: Director, Hester Architects
- Keith Patrick: Head of Quality Development and Supply Chain Management, Graham Construction
- Chris Morgan: Director – Fire Protection Division, GBS Builders (Ipswich) Ltd
- Alex Double BEng (Hons), BA (Hons) Arch, MCIOB: Director, A D Design Consultants Ltd (ADDC), Drylining & Fire Protection Consultants
- Craig Wells: Sales Director and Technical Sales Consultant, Quelfire Limited, Manufacturer & Supplier of Specialist Firestopping Products
- Moderator: Dr Andrew Taylor, Technical Officer, Association for Specialist Fire Protection (ASFP)
The article has been published in the February issue of the UK Fire Magazine.
The industry has already seen a major shift regarding the early consideration of firestopping service penetrations in the last few years, and especially since the tragic Grenfell Tower fire – this is something all participants have agreed during the discussion. However, they all pointed out ways in which current practices and mentality within the construction industry can and need to be improved further.